Staff Engineer, Alliance Support Manager – Engineering & Project Management Europe
- Reference Number
- Job Type
- Vacancy Category
- Manufacturing & Engineering
The E&PM Department has a vision “to Deliver First Quartile Projects in EHSS, Quality, Cost & Schedule”. The derived strategic objectives of this vision is to maximize SABIC Capital Efficiency, to Maintain EHSS Excellence and to improve and execute SABIC Projects & E&PM Operational Performance to enable SABIC Global growth and competitiveness.
We will enhance our Outsourcing Strategy and strengthen our Organizational Effectiveness by Increasing our Employees Capabilities and level of Competencies.
The Europe Organization with a workforce of +/- 100 employees is spread over five bigger sites; Cartagena, Geleen, Gelsenkirchen, Bergen op Zoom and Teesside. We manage an annual CAPEX budget of approx. 250MM$ with +/- 400 Projects (between 10K$ to 3.5MM$) spread over the different sites.
Job Purpose & Responsibilities
Manage the interaction with the Alliance Partner Management Team with the objective to receive from the Alliance Partner (WorleyParsons) an optimal Engineering and Project Management Service that allows E&PM to deliver first quartile projects in EHSS, Quality, Cost & Schedule to the Affiliate.
Maximize outsourcing of Engineering, design, project management, project controls and project construction by effective utilization of Engineering Alliance
Ensure compliance with SABIC’s company policies, procedures & standards as well as full compliance with Alliance Contracts for all service delivered by Engineering Alliance.
Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations & standards of local authorities.
Ensure that established goals and objectives are measured and achieved, both in the transition to Alliance Partner and after Alliance Partner Go Live.
Ensure proper performance of Engineering Alliance based on agreed measured parameters and contractual KPI´s.
The main responsibilities of the Staff Engineer, Alliance Support Manager are:
- Enhance quality of engineering deliverables utilizing Engineering Alliance service with optimum cost & schedule.
- Develop and implement workflows & procedures for the section to support effective execution of SABIC strategies.
- Contributes to the overall process of management decision making to ensure SPD short, medium and long-term plans fully aligned with SABIC Strategies and provide inputs and recommends changes in the overall E&PM strategy.
- Formulate and implement E&PM strategy for Site Projects, plans and budget per section/department, needs and objectives of SBUs / Affiliates.
- Prepare, monitor and control section/department budget ensuring the financial resources are available to support the section/department operating plan while maximizing the service provided to the organization
- Provide effective management to ensure that all available resources are utilized in the most effective way for the benefit of customers.
- Provide all the required support/resources to Affiliate for developing strategic projects.
Strategic Planning & Alliances:•
- Forecasting & planning service volume for proper engagement of engineering alliance.
- Coordinate and direct Alliance engineers to achieve department deliverables.
- Interface with affiliate for key areas for expanding Alliance scope and capability.
- Setting up alliance executive steering committee & performance reporting involving alliance quarterly.
- Ensure timely preparation and delivery all engineering Alliances outsourced scope as per agreed KPIs
- Facilitate communication with the rest of the organization.
- Ensure knowledge building and sharing of best practices across Alliance Management team and the rest of the site projects organization.
- Ensure “on time” submittals of all required reports, documents and information maintaining required levels of quality and accuracy.
- Facilitate the day-to-day collaboration of E&PM Europe with the Global Alliance team, by providing expertise, encouraging and ensuring teamwork, aligning work processes in order to achieve high performance standards, meet established targets and objectives.
- Cultivate motivated work environment within Alliance Management team to create innovative improvement to cost, schedule, quality of deliverables.
- Ensure that established goals and objectives w.r.t. Alliance Management are measured and achieved. Manage projects activities related to Engineering Alliance such as review of Technical proposal and M/H rates.
- Establishes/Review Alliance Management processes and procedures that promote efficiency and quality.
- Provide accurate reporting of section/department activities and performance via monthly reports and weekly/monthly meetings ensuring that all managers are fully aware of the section/department activities and developments
- Support the implementation of change control process as & when applicable during project life cycle.
- Prepare, implement, & monitor the section /department yearly objectives and work force plan in order that all targets met.
- Manage Alliance’s claims & counterclaims throughout project life cycle and resolve contractual conflicts.
- Oversee management of customer complaints.
- Exercise financial authority within established limits and controls section/departmental budget expenditure
- Engage with Executive Management of Engineering Alliance to ensure high level performance.
- Interface with the affiliate and site project leaders to ensure proper Engineering Alliance services provided.
- Lead the team while maintaining high performance & harmony among team members.
- Present and explain proposals, reports, and findings to clients.
- Attends management meetings with other department heads.
- Facilitate feedback to the appropriate SABIC organizations concerning Engineering Alliance performance, technical information, and vendor evaluations.
- Maintain regular contact with the E&PM Head, Affiliates Management, Project Site Managers and related parties for Site Projects to ensure services are aligned to their needs.
- Maintain an extensive network of internal and external contacts to ensure that the section/department is optimally placed in its understanding of challenges and issues.
- Customer interface for the delivery and quality of engineering services.
- Evaluate improvement potentials and motivate staff to provide efficient and quality services, improve, maintain customer’s relationship management; ensure knowledge building and sharing best practices across the entire section/department in order to improve staff and services.
- Examine current operational processes to identify and implement potential operational improvements that will positively impact upon service, safety, environmental, and cost performance.
- Identify external best practices related to Alliances concept and apply them to SABIC.
- Induct best practices in engineering service & project management into Sabic processes.
- Carry out competency assessments to identify gaps in alliance aspects.
- A Master’s degree in Technical Engineering or Business Administration
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the petrochemicals Business or in an industrial environment including 5 to 8 years of project management or portfolio management experience. Experience in an Engineering & Project Management environment would be a strong asset.
- Sound knowledge of standards, policies, procedures and best practices in the areas of Engineering & Project Management
- Excellent communication, presentation and stakeholder management skills along with a solid knowledge of project management, sourcing and contracting.
- Strong business & technical acumen, sound quantitative & analytical and planning skills
- Well-acquainted with the needs of an industrial and projects environment and experienced in Program & Portfolio Management.
- Sound influencing & negotiation skills, fluent in English language (conversation and writing)
- Self-starter with an open mindset, a strong drive and can-do mentality and eagerness to drive performance excellence and improvements
For more information about this role you can contact: Ingrid Schellens, Recruiter on +31 (0)646103085.
Important notice: please be informed that a reference check, an employment verification and E-assessment is be part of our recruitment process. A Certificate of Good Conduct can be requested depending the level of the role in our organization and/or function, allowing us to request dependant of local regulations.
Responses from employment agencies will not be considered
People Who Can
We’ve always believed that it takes special people to make a difference. They need ingenuity, brilliance and the freedom to turn their ideas into reality. At SABIC, this is our culture. We find open-minded, gifted and questioning people. Then we create the conditions for their talent to flourish: fulfilling work environments, state-of-the-art technology and the empowerment they need. So when you work for SABIC, you’re the person who can find new solutions and possibilities that change the world for the better.
SABIC, headquartered in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of Petrochemicals, Specialties, Agri-Nutrients, and Metals. We supply these materials to other companies, who use them to make products on which the world has come to depend. At SABIC, we believe in using chemistry to power the ambitions of our customers, business partners, employees and societies we live in. We call this “CHEMISTRY THAT MATTERS™”.
In Europe, SABIC employs over 5,000 professionals and is running 6 world-scale production sites and 4 technology & innovation centers. We are present in almost every European country. Major locations within our broad network of innovation, production and marketing are: Teesside (UK), Cartagena (Spain), Gelsenkirchen (Germany), Geleen (Netherlands) Bergen op Zoom (The Netherlands) and Genk (Belgium). Based upon this strong fundament, we are a key producer of olefins, polyolefins, engineering thermoplastics resins, films and sheets. Discover more at sabic.com/careers